- Latest news
New Choose Youth Manifesto adopted at AGM
A new manifesto 'Our Vision for a New Youth Service' was debated and adopted by partners attending the Choose Youth AGM meeting in London.
Government response to the first ever ‘Youth Select Committee’
The Youth Select Committee has published the Government’s response to their first enquiry on ‘safe, affordable and accessible transport for young people’. The committee mirrors the UK Parliament's select committee structure and gives young people the opportunity to scrutinise and hold enquiries into topics of importance to them.
Save Birmingham Youth Services
The 2013 savebirminghamyouthservice campaign has been launched and is making good progress. Everyone has been very impressed by young people presenting their case at Consultation meetings, and liaison is underway at a senior level with Birmingham politicians and key figures are working hard on behalf of the campaign.
The aim is to get this years funding in place and make arrangements for future years. Eventually pressing for the establishment of a statutory youth service.
Ultimately this means that the campaign must be for more central government funding for Birmingham Youth Service in particular and Birmingham City Council in general.
Planned activities so far are:
- Collect a petition of at least 10,000 signatures.
- Hold our First Event in Birmingham City Centre, Walk in Our Shoes, 2 February, Chamberlain Square.
- Meet David Cameron or a government minister in London towards the end of February and present the petition; Jack Dromey MP is leading on our behalf.
- Collect short videos of about 50 seconds of young people having their say.
Hold a conference later in the year to raise the profile of Birmingham Youth Service.
- Build alliances with other colleagues, community members, trade unions and politicians to fight these cuts.
Please help us with this campaign, support the rally and promote the petition.
Watch Jordan’s story
Ask the Minister to speak up for youth services before it is too late!
Watch the video overview of the London Lobby of Parliament
Choose Youth lobbied Parliament in November